Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2016

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas



“Be glad of your human heart, Feyre. Pity those who don't feel anything at all.”

“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.”


Plot:
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

My opinion:
Alright, brace yourselves, I've got a lot to say about this one.

It is undeniable that this book has gotten a lot of hype over the past year, and people either loved it, or hated it. However, I feel like I am somewhere in between.

The main problem I had with this book was the writing. Some sentences just seemed so strange, so out of place, that I could sometimes just shake my head at some phrases. Thoughts and sentences were linked in a weird and confusing way, which was the reason why I had to read a few phrases several times, which really annoyed me.
Connected to the writing is probably also the fact that I hated the main character, Feyre. She acted before she thought about her actions, and sometimes as a reader I didn't even know why she did a certain thing, because it was explained a few sentences afterwards, not before the action, which would make more sense. In general, Feyre acted kind of stupidly throughout the whole novel. Some of her decisions just made me roll my eyes, because she makes the same damn mistakes like every other YA heroine ever. It is boring and annoying to see the same mistakes repeated over and over again. Maybe it's because I already read so many YA books that some things didn't come as a shock to me at all. I knew things pages before Feyre found out about it, which made the reading-experience a bit ... dull? Boring? I knew things are going to come to a nice and quite satisfying close, and thus I didn't really fear for anyone’s life in this book, which again, was pretty tedious.
In general, not a lot of things happen in this book. In the first 300 pages practically NOTHING note-worthy happens, nothing at all. Luckily, then the pace picks up a bit, and the last 100 pages were actually really enjoyable. It took me days to read the first few hundred pages, but only hours to finish the book in the end then, which is usually a good sign.
Overall, there were a lot of parts in the book that reminded me of other series, which already had bothered me in Red Queen, so I wasn't too happy to see things repeated AGAIN.
But the main thing that bothered me was that Feyre knew things she couldn't even possibly have found out before at any point in the story. She just KNEW certain things, because it was easy and convenient for the plot. Nobody mentioned it to her, and in this whole new world ( ;) ) you might think she was a bit confused, but no, she was totally fine with everything, and knew everything immediately. Another thing that ties into that, was the fact that there were characters, who only were given a voice when they were necessary for the plot ... *cough* Alis *cough*. At least give her some nice lines, please? Thank You. The main character didn't find main backstories or parts of the plot out on her own, but it rather was conventiently told to her by a huge monologue from another character. This was, again, better in the last portion of the book, where Feyre actually DID something to save her life.

Now that all might sound really bad, which partly it really was, but there were also really good and enjoyable things about this book.
Despite all the things I did not like about this book, it still was stuck in my head after I put it down. I was invested in the world, I even had fanfiction ideas, and that usually only happens with REALLY good books, so this was a good sign!
Secondly, Lucien. Ohh, Lucien. Praise the Lord for Lucien, the only real reason I wanted to finish this book. He is pretty much the only character I care about, the only one I think about, even when the book came to a close. He is exactly that one type of sarcastic, snarky character I like, with a hard past and some daddy-issues thrown in. Lovely. I expect to see more of him in the second book. But hey, how about a separate book, only about Lucien? Sarah? PLEASE?
The next thing I did enjoy was how the Beauty and the Beast theme was woven into the story; this aspect gives the book a nice and interesting twist. Although, can you really call Tamilin a BEAST, with such a great face, such a great body, such a great EVERYTHING? Actually not, but alright.


I heard that a lot of people who didn't like the first book as much LOVE the second one, so I will definitely read that one too. In fact, I already ordered it. And I also have to see what happens to Lucien, right?
I wanted to love this book, I really wanted to, but oh my, the bad points outweigh the good ones. I am hopeful for the second on though! Please let it be good!


Rating:
2,5 / 5

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen