Samstag, 30. Mai 2015

Review: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

“ I turn to him, slowly, and his eyes are wide and brown and totally open. There’s this pause. We’re still looking at each other. And there’s this feeling in my stomach like a coil pulled taut.‘It’s you,’ I say.‘I know I’m late,’ he says. “

Content:

Simon Spier is sixteen and trying to work out who he is – and what he’s looking for. But when one of his emails to the very distracting Blue falls into the wrong hands, things get all kinds of complicated. Because, for Simon, falling for Blue is a big deal … It’s a holy freaking huge awesome deal.

Cover:

Although I actually do not like these types of covers usually, this one immediately caught my eye in the bookstore. It’s simple, yet really well designed and I really like the colors. The cover (plus the blurb) was actually the reason why I bought this book.

My opinion:

I honestly do not know where to start. I finished this book a few hours ago and I still can’t process my thoughts and feelings, and this review will contain a lot of fangirling, so you shall be warned!

I didn’t expect a lot from this book when I picked it up, because I never heard anyone mentioning it on BookTube or elsewhere, so I didn’t really know what to think of that. But honestly, where is the hype this book definitely deserves? You should all just go and buy and read this book RIGHT NOW.
But let’s start off with the writing-style. On the cover of the book there is a quote by Teen Vogue and it says “The love child of John Green and Rainbow Rowell”, and let me tell you, it is exactly that. The writing-style is just so light, easy and fun to read. I always take ages for English books usually (because my mother tongue isn’t English), but I just flew through this book and actually read it in two sittings, which is almost impossible for me. I loved every single bit of this book and the writing especially. It felt like I was talking to a real seventeen year-old.
Now let’s talk about these amazing characters. First of all, Simon was one of the most perfect protagonists I’ve ever read about. Usually in YA-Contemporary books the main characters are somewhat “perfectionised”, if you know what I mean, but Simon just felt real and authentic to me. I felt like I was reading the story of a REAL guy. Also the other characters seemed pretty realistic to me, which was great and so refreshing. I just want to give them all a hug and be friends with every single one of them (except Martin maybe, but, you know, even he deserves some love).
Lastly, the plot: What can I say? It was absolutely perfect. There were some serious issues (like blackmailing, coming out, and finding out who you truly are and want to be) addressed in the book, and it really makes you think about the struggle some people might have to deal with when talking about these issues, although I never really thought about it myself until now. Nevertheless this book never missed to make me smile, and since I finished this book I just walk around with a huge grin on my face, because the ending was really perfect and life is beautiful. The mystery aspect in this book also left me speechless at some points, and I would have never thought that HE turns out to be Blue. I thought it was someone completely different. But I am honestly so happy with how everything turned out, that, again, I just want to hug everyone and tell them how much they mean to me, because in such a short time these characters became my best friends.
(Also: Simon & Blue are like THE OTP, right? They are so cute together, I can’t even … I can’t handle it! They are perfect together, and I would die to read something from their future, like kids or marriage? Please Becky?)

Conclusion:

This is probably the best contemporary book I’ve ever read, and the best book that I’ve read this year so far. I recommend this book to everyone; go and read it, people!

Rating:

5|5 stars
★-★-★--

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen