Dienstag, 26. Mai 2015

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

“You're amazing.""I know it didn't take you this long to realize that.""No. I've always known it." I watched him root around for another strawberry. "Maybe not in the beginning..."He peeked up. "My awesomeness is all about the stealth.” 
 

Content:

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Cover:

I do not like this cover at all, actually. It looks much too cheesy and romantic, and it doesn’t represent the book at all.

My opinion:

Let’s start off with the writing style first. As always it was very fluent and easy to read, which was great. You could fly through these chapters and I love books which can be read fast. So that was definitely great; I love Jennifer’s writing.
Now onto the plot and characters: To be honest, I always was rather annoyed by Katy’s behavior, in the first, as well as in the second book. And that also didn’t seem to change in the third book, but additionally to that all the others annoyed me too. Daemon fought with Katy over things which were complete nonsense, and the relationship, or rather the “non-existing” relationship between Katy and Dee just seemed too forced, as if Dee didn’t even want to be friends with Katy anymore (and not, like she said, she “tried” it). Of course I understand what Dee goes through, but she could at least try to understand Katy. One thing which was good though, was that Katy and Daemon finally stood behind their relationship and didn’t tell themselves that they don’t love each other anymore. That saved a lot of time in this book. The plot-development itself was kind of predictable, and everyone knew that there was something wrong with Blake, right? So these things didn’t come as a surprise to me, actually, but I did enjoy it overall. At some points I was kinda bored, because things didn’t seem to get going, but I really enjoyed the last 50-100 pages. The thing which I hated and loved the most about this book was the ending. It was unpredictable and a huge cliffhanger; it was bitter-sweet and I loved it. This was honestly the best part in the book, and I am really excited to read the fourth book when it comes out in Austria.

Conclusion:

Whereas some scenes and characters were a real pain, all in all I enjoyed the writing and the plot itself a lot. Actually I would have given this book a 3 or 3.5 | 5 stars, but the ending was too great for that.

Rating:

4 | 5 stars
----

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen