Sonntag, 15. März 2015

Review: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

“What are the chances you’d ever meet someone like that? he wondered. Someone you could love forever, someone who would forever love you back? And what did you do when that person was born half a world away? The math seemed impossible.” 


Content:

Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.
Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.
Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

Cover:

The cover is very simple, yet very beautiful. If you have read the book you know, what the headphones mean, as music plays an important role in the book. You can also see the protagonists on the cover, which is great in my opinion.

My opinion:

I went into this book with no expectations whatsoever. I knew that a lot of people on BookTube loved this book, but I am not a huge fan of contemporary, so I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did in the end. Let’s start off with the writing. Rainbow Rowell has a fantastic writing-style, and I love the way she describes characters. I also really enjoyed both perspectives, as it gave the reader a different point of view, not just from one single person. The plot itself was straight-forward as well, and kind of predictable at some points. If YA books taught me something, then that star-crossed lovers never have a Happy End. When I reached the last page though, it hit me like a rock. I kind of saw it coming, but then again it caught me completely off guard. The last sentence made me happy and sad at the same time and I didn’t know that it was possible that you could laugh and cry in between the pages. But this book made it possible for me. There was something about Eleanor’s and Park’s relationship that I just found extremely adorable. Every time they kissed I found myself grinning at the book. Maybe it was, because I just loved how everything developed. And also, because they are both misfits and they both deserve someone who cares for them, and who loves them. The best thing about this novel were the characters, though. The two protagonists, Eleanor and Park, were just so authentic. Park wasn’t the extraordinarily hot guy, who was surrounded by girls, who adored him (let’s be real here, almost EVERY YA hero is described like that), but he was honest and kind and a gentleman. And Eleanor wasn’t the typical size-zero girl with the perfect hair. They both felt real to me, and authentic, as I just said. And their relationship felt nothing but completely right. Another small thing, which I really enjoy was the setting. If you were born in the 90’s like I was, you probably remember all the things which were mentioned in the book, such as a walkman and the telephones and stuff like that. It had a bit of nostalgia to it.

Conclusion:

This is probably my new favorite contemporary novel, next to Forbidden. I loved every single page of this book and I would really recommend it to everyone.

Rating:

5|5 stars
----

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen