Samstag, 10. Januar 2015

Review: Push by Sapphire

“Every blade of grass has its Angel that bends over it and whispers: "Grow, Grow".”

Content:

Precious Jones, a illiterate sixteen-year-old, has up until now been invisible: invisible to the father who rapes her and the mother who batters her and to the authorities who dismiss her as just one more of Harlem's casualties. But when Precious, pregnant with a second child by her father, meets a determined and highly radical teacher, we follow her on a journey of education and enlightenment as Precious learns not only how to write about her life, but how to make it her own for the first time.

Cover:

The cover is very simple and not very catching in my opinion. If I would see it in the bookstore, I honestly wouldn’t pick it up.

My opinion:

I honestly would have never picked up this book, simply because I don’t like a lot of contemporary books, but I had to read this book for English class. And I really didn’t enjoy it. Let’s start off with the writing style. The protagonist in this book isn’t able to read or write at first, and that is also reflected by the writing style. For me, as a non-native speaker, this was sometime really hard to understand. I found myself reading one page for over 5 minutes, although I’m usually a very fast reader. I just was so fed up with the book when I was only about half way through. Furthermore, there were a lot of grammatical mistakes which were really disturbing. The writing-style also kind of destroyed my feelings for the characters. I couldn’t identify myself with any of them and their stories, although they were touching, couldn’t get through to me, kind of. There was a lot of potential with this story, because it was very tragic and touching, but through the portraying of the characters and the writing-style I felt like it was really just not my type of book.

Conclusion:

Unfortunately, I just really didn’t enjoy this book. I'll give it 1.5 out of 5 stars, only for the story, although for it was kind of a 1 out of 5 stars for me.

Rating:

1.5 | 5 stars
★--☆-☆-

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen